Yes, beginning January 1, 2013, license plate issuing officials will attempt to verify liability insurance utilizing the State of Alabama Online Insurance Verification System (OIVS) when issuing or renewing vehicle registrations. If insurance cannot be verified through OIVS, vehicle owners must provide evidence of insurance to the license plate issuing official. The insurance card is the most common evidence of current insurance.
Articles in this section
- Where do I go to register my motor vehicle in Alabama?
- What are the prerequisites for registering a vehicle in Alabama?
- Is the registrant required to prove that he/she has liability insurance when registering a motor vehicle?
- Is emissions testing a prerequisite to registration?
- I just acquired a vehicle. How many days do I have to title and register this vehicle?
- I just moved to Alabama. How long do I have before I must register my vehicle?
- I am a military member stationed in Alabama. Am I required to title and register my vehicle in Alabama?